Sunday, October 23, 2016

Fuzzy Thinking

INTRO
What was lost, found, I looked up and there it was in the distance, about 30 meters away. Not my missing phone case, it was in my car the whole time. This..
Photo a anthropomorphic frowning cactus appearing to be flipping "the bird"

WHEN SETTLING ISN'T MAKING DO

I was out flying out flying my Parrot Bebop 2 drone yesterday. I used to think it was one hot drone. Then I flew a DJI Phantom 4. Then I saw a demo of the new DJI Mavic Pro drone and took the Phantom back and pre-ordered a Mavic. Which is why I was out flying. I fly drones, not for the flying so much. That's scary. Drones are expensive. I've lost one and crashed several. I fly drones for the photos. The DJI camera gimbal and cameras are much better than what my Bebop 2 has.

But the Mavic Pro isn't likely to arrive for a while. So Bebop and me were out in the Arizona desert west of Phoenix flying and taking pictures. At the very end, packed up and about to drive off, I looked to the right and there it was: a frowning cactus. A few days from Halloween sighting it was timely. It made me think of a Jack-o-Lantern, this Jack-o-Cactus.

Desert photo of scrub, distant mountains and blue sky

Photos other drone pilots post on social media show wondrous things: cathedrals and estates, lush green or craggy snow covered mountains, cruise ships and barges on the sea or rivers, basically a whole lot of amazing places. Around these parts, in the slice of Arizona I call home, all there is is scrub and cactus.

But finding and photographing Jack-o-Cactus made me think that since I got it I should use it.

OUTRO

I wish my Mavic Pro would get here already. It's 4K camera would have taken a much sharper Jack photo. Oh well. Soon. Soon.

My drones (clockwise from top left) Parrot Bebop 2, DJI Phantom 4 and DJI Mavic Pro

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Urbano! I'm hoping to connect. I'm working to make senior living more exciting for people living in seniors homes by using Amazon's Alexa. We have a program called "Connect-the-Dots" as in the Echo Dot. I was wondering if you would make your domain available for us. I'd be happy to discuss further so you know your domain has found the perfect home! I'm easily available at erum.azeez@gmail.com. And you can see some of our voice assistant work at openmemorylane.com. Thank you kindly and have a wonderful day!

    Best,
    Erum Azeez

    ReplyDelete