Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Expeditionary Mettle

PROLOGUE

"There's an old man sitting next to me.." -- Billy Joel -- Piano Man

EXPEDITIONARY

Why I teach.. My response to AprilBlogaDay Day 14.

Once upon a time, "When I wore a younger man's clothes," a US Navy uniform actually, I went on an expedition. I travelled far from home and all I knew. It's why I teach.

Graphic of a US Navy Expeditionary Medal

METTLE

I'm a little older now. I'm still expeditioning. These days my voyages are mostly over the American Southwest. At the helm of my Honda Pilot I travel far and wide to unconferences and conferences. I meet and learn from some amazing educators. Mettle. It's why I teach.

A graphic showing several costumed teachers at EdCampATX

EPILOGUE

Why do I teach? I teach to learn. Those years I taught multimedia production, animation, and programming I learned from my students. I benefitted greatly from their questions and perspectives.

Today, as I design transformational learning experiences, I continue to learn. It's why I teach.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment