Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Tuna Piano

PROLOGUE

It’s a mystery. "Show them something to ask about..” sung to the tune of Bonnie Raitt’s “Something to talk about."

TUNA

Somehow I made it to Day 8 of #AprilBlogaDay. No one’s more surprised than me. Okay. Maybe that’s not true. But it could be.

I have lots of stories to tell. Some true. Some not. Like the time on Diego Garcia when.. a story tangent best left for another day, methinks.

So Day 8’s suggested topic is “How do we (educators) get students (them) asking then seeking rather than asking then getting?" In other words, "Why would a student want to find answers for themselves rather than being handed them?”

Consider for a moment the title of REO Speedwagon’s 1978 album.

Nonsense or sense making? Anyway, the first time I heard the album’s name I did a double-take. And that was way before the Internet. Imagine where a little crazy could take your students?

PIANO

Seriously. I used to watch a lot of TV. Okay, I still watch a lot of TV but that’s not important right now. What is important is this: The Paper Chase. I didn’t really like watching it much though. The part about it that hurt had to do with the lecture hall.

Hundreds of students learning law from a Sage On The Stage. Maybe if you can find and watch an episode or two you’ll see what I mean. Then again, maybe there’s a gem in there that, had I stayed and kept watching would have enlightened and entertained. I may never know. But you might.

EPILOGUE

I think about learner engagement a lot. I think the way to get it, so they get it, is to arouse their curiosity. If you can factor in an emotion, laughter or empathy for example, better. I’d stay away from clever. It’s easy to spot and can be a major turn-off. Authentic, that’s the way to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment